How to be an Adult in Relationships  - by David Rocco


Lately I've been thinking how hard we work to maintain our household or place to stay just so we can enjoy our relationships. Our ancient wisdom literature also mentions the fact that even though happy relationships are where the real taste in life is, they’re only temporary. The book, *How to Be an Adult in Relationships, by David Richo*, describes how to be more loving by just being in the moment.
The author explores the keys that open us to giving and receiving love in all of our relationships (with partner, kids, friends, parents, helpers, and most importantly, with our own selves) and these are the 5As:
1) Attention = someone gets us.
2) Acceptance = feeling safe.
3) Appreciation = fostering closeness.
4) Affection = loving uniquely.
5) Allowing = being free.
This book prompted me to closely examine my relationships, wrt the 5As. Definitely, I felt that there was so much more I could and should do!
The author offers techniques to do deep inner work in all aspects of our relationships, which we can extend to the needs of our community, people far and wide, people we will never know in person and, to nature, country and world eventually to make it a better place.
Some of my fav quotes:
- Love is the possibility of possibilities
- My goal is not to use a relationship to gratify my ego but to dispossess myself of ego to gratify the relationship.
I liked the book a lot even though it was too dense at times. But I didnt skip any page, like I usually do 😀. It’s a good read to understand *how to be an adult in relationships*. 😝🌼🩵

Comments

Popular posts from this blog